I love it when I have to wrestle my husband for the last muffin.
We recently took a road trip up to Hybridoma Organic Fruit Farm for some pick-your-own organic blueberries and came home with about 5 pounds worth. Which, I must say, we had no trouble finishing in my favorite Quick-As-Cereal Berry Seed Bowl, smoothies, straight up as snacks, and in these fabulous muffins.
These gluten-free muffins are sweetened with honey and fresh blueberries muffins are simply delicious. Sooooo moist. Enjoy them without any guilt. Just make sure you don't eat the whole batch in one sitting!
Blueberries are incredibly healthy -- full of antioxidants and low on the glycemic index so they won't spike your blood sugar. Be sure to buy organic, and better yet, buy local and pick-your-own.
Best Blueberry Muffins(Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free, Dairy-Free Option)
Prep time: 20 minutes, cook time: 25 minutes
• 2 cups almond flour
• ½ teaspoon sea salt
• ½ teaspoon baking soda
• ½ teaspoon cardamom, ground
• ¾ teaspoon cinnamon, ground
• 2 large organic eggs
• ¼ cup melted ghee (clarified butter), or sub ¼ cup melted coconut oil for a dairy free version
• A little less than 1/3 cup raw honey
• 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
• ½ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
• 1 ¼ cup blueberries, plus extra ¼ cup to put on top
• 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds to put on top
• Paper baking cups, or extra ghee/coconut oil to grease muffin tins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with baking cups, or grease them using a piece of paper towel dipped in a little ghee or coconut oil.
In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients, breaking up any clumps of almond flour. In a medium bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients, then very gently combine the wet ingredient into the dry, making sure it’s mixed thoroughly. Gently fold in the blueberries.
Spoon the batter into muffin tins, filling each cup about ¾ of the way. I put some of the batter into a small 5x3 loaf pan, which was also delicious. Put a few more blueberries on top, and sprinkle on the pumpkin seeds. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and a knife comes out clean.